C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, February 12, 2024

Play

"Play expands our minds in ways that allow us to explore; to germinate new ideas or see old ones in a new light." Greg McKeown

Everything about this quote is true for me as I play with watercolors in a focused and deliberate way! 

I was totally absorbed as I completed a value exercise for the Watercolor for Relaxation class. I'm enjoying using stencils for some of these exercises because they give me interesting shapes to paint without too much thought...and I can just focus on the process.  And Wendy's process for practicing value was very helpful.

I'm making slow progress on the houses in the puzzle....they're proving to be more challenging than I thought.

As of late I've only sat here at the puzzle table for a few minutes here and there each day because  I'm playing with so many other things!   
I'm tempted to add something to these pages....but then again...I think I'll leave them just way they are.  Sometimes less is enough. Time to play with another lesson.


It's Eliza's birthday today...she's 8 years old! And she's just as colorful and joy-filled as ever!

I made her an Art Heart card out of some of her art and some of mine...and sent her a kit to make her own if she wants.  

And among a few other things I sent her and her little brother one of my favorite twirly toys. 

I keep mine on my studio table...and play with it from time to time. I posted a video on Instagram years ago.....you're never too old to play!  

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdvP3MHBf8b/

Happy Birthday Eliza!

For those of you who don't know...Eliza and I have been arting together for years.  If you put her name in the search box in the upper left hand corner of the blog, you can scroll through dozens of posts of our shared art!

2 comments:

  1. Playtime! Your values exercise is beautiful, MaryAnn—love your playful idea to use stencils for the exercise. Happy birthday, Emily … in ALL THE COLORS : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty! I enjoyed the exercise!

      And Eliza always makes me smile in ALL her true colors!

      Delete