C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Other Things

There are things to celebrate today....and most of them don't have anything to do with Valentine's Day.  I know that's a thing today....but not as big of a thing as these other things.

Our family celebrated Nate's (our oldest) birthday this morning with a simple breakfast at Margie's place.....I love it when we're all together.  Nate's birthday is actually on Groundhog's Day...but he was sick over his birthday so today was the day!

Nate has grown into quite am amazing young man and Paul and I are so proud of him.  He has overcome some pretty difficult obstacles in his life including cancer...and I believe he is stronger....and more grateful for because of it all.  

It's also my sister Nancy's birthday today!  And if you had to be born on a holiday...Valentine's Day is the one! Happy Birthday Nancy!

This is something I made for her back in 2015...the background is made from punched sky and sea photos from a vacation that she and her husband took to Brazil. 

You can see a whole year of calendar pages I did for her with photos from their trip here: https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2015/02/a-brazilian-birthday.html I had a blast playing with the photos!
After at least 10 years....Nancy and I  decided that it was time for my yearly calendar to come to an end.

Because she she shares a birthday with Valentine's Day....hearts were often a theme.
Nancy also loves hands....beautiful images of hands.  
And that was a fun theme too!  


I'm also celebrating the fact that I actually did the homework on blooms and bleeds with enough success to understand how different techniques can be used to get different effects. 

I will practice these techniques again and again.  I want to really own them.
And....it may be Valentine's Day....but it's also Ash Wednesday....and that's my segue into celebrating my very favorite thing person.  

Paul is retired...but he's going to work tonight to do an Ash Wednesday service.  He has been a Bridge Pastor for a small church in Scarborough for a while now...just doing Sunday services and special ones like tonight. I'm so proud of him for finding opportunities in retirement to continue to use his crazy mad preacher skills....and I'm so appreciative for all he does for me and our family.

Paul is my biggest cheerleader.  He supports everything I do no matter how big of a mess I make.

And there is no one I would rather have by my side....
through this that...and other things.

2 comments:

  1. Today's featured Other Things are fabulous! From birthday celebration to celebration of Ash Wednesday, you made Valentine's Day your own : )

    You are a master calendar maker, MaryAnn! I'm reminded that I created a handmade engagement calendar for my mom for about ten years running.

    Hats off to you for actually doing the homework on blooms and bleeds with enough success to understand how different techniques can be used to get different effects, and I further applaud your commitment to practice the techniques repeatedly so you can really own them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the enthusiastic comment Dotty. It's much appreciated. It was a good day of celebrating "other things!"

      Delete