C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, February 25, 2024

Slow and Steady

I'm making slow and steady progress on this colorful coastal puzzle....and the end is in sight. Even though I don't gravitate to scenes....I'm enjoying it more than I thought.  

I connected the top to the bottom under the rainbow sailboats several days ago...and made another connection to the right this morning. And you know how happy that makes me! There's mostly water pieces...so it's time to sort them by shape.

I am always game to try something new and I've always been drawn to negative space paintings...but I could never wrap my head around how to do them. 

Pat's painting demo piece
A few days ago I carefully read the step by step directions for this painting posted by Pat Howard (twice)....and watched parts of a few random youtube videos.  Then I finally started one of my own.

It was still a little fuzzy....but the process started to become clear as I went along....and I'm making slow and steady progress.  It doesn't look so great at the moment...but there are two more layers to go so I think there's potential. It has to be good and dry between layers....so I'm practicing patience.  

Here's where I am after the second layer of paint....third if you count the base layer.  

I know I need to soften that transition from green to purple in the lower left...but I'm hoping I can do that in the next layers.  There will be five total layers including the base layer.  

I started with a very light wash over the whole paper.  I forgot to photograph it at that stage....maybe because I was REALLY unsure how I would do...and probably because it really looked terrible.

I penciled in some leafy shapes over the wash which will end up being the TOP layer of leaves. Then with a little darker value wash...I painted the negative space around them.  Here I'm half done.

Once that layer was dry...

I penciled in more leaves tucked behind trying to spread them out evenly in the negative spaces.
Then I painted in the negative spaces around both sets of leaves. I really had to pay attention making sure not to paint over any of the existing leaves. 

Two more layers to go. It's a fascinating process...and there is no option other than slow and steady

Stay tuned on this one...but I already know my next one will be trees.

5 comments:

  1. I take such pleasure in a process post such as this one—both because I learn a tremendous amount and because I vicariously join you in an intense level of concentration—I feel as though I'm right there, hyperfocused, wielding my pencil and brush and paint. Grand fun! I'm fascinated by the interplay of positive and negative space.

    You are using watercolors here, yes? Different process than if using acrylics.

    Your progress thus far has eye-catching depth. I'm eager to see where this takes you … but I'm in no rush. I can wait with a slow-and-steady mindset : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take great delight that these process posts please you. I'm so grateful when artists share how they do things....and this painting is happening only because Pat shared the "how to." I did another layer last night.....and will finish it up today....and I'm pretty darn excited.

      Yes...watercolor....but acrylics would be interesting.

      Delete
  2. I love what you're doing with this negative painting, MaryAnn. I plan to watch the video and give it a try, but seeing how you approached it is very helpful too. Thanks for always being inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still figuring out a lot of things Judy! I've sure had fun with this painting project....and hope you give it a try.

      Delete
  3. p.s.That was me making that last comment. Still trying to figure it out! 😂

    ReplyDelete