C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, February 4, 2024

Something New

I enjoy playing around with watercolor and am constantly fascinated by what's possible. And although my results are not always what I hope for....I do find watercoloring very relaxing.  So when an artist I admire offered a class actually called "Watercolor for Relaxation".....I couldn't resist starting something new.

I've taken several classes with Wendy Solganik, also known as Willa Wanders.  I've been a member of her Fodder School for three years and also took her Love your Imperfect Letters course. She's a great teacher and always goes up and beyond what you might expect.

I love Wendy's watercolor style and she mixes watercolor and journaling so beautifully....so I'm so thrilled to be taking a class from her.  I can work at my own pace...and just paint. Because this is a paid class...I can't share Wendy's process....but I can share my results.

This isn't the first lesson...but the idea sprung from something Wendy shared in one of the intro videos.  It was my way easing in. I may do some writing in the negative spaces.

This was actually my second ease in piece...which I like better than the first. 


Here's the spread in the journal where I'll be doing many of the lessons and practicing my Watercolor for Relaxation.  I'll find my own way...and put my own spin on it.....that's what we all should do.

I painted the daisies yesterday...and didn't love them.  I'm pretty sure I didn't use enough pigment/water.....but we haven't had an actual painting lesson yet...so time will tell.

I added the polka dots this morning...and they break up the flatness of the colors. I think I'll add polka dots to all the daisies.  

This was the right course at the right time for me...and I'm happy to be starting something new.

And speaking of polka dots....since my watercolors were out....why not make a watercolor Art Heart!

4 comments:

  1. I am swooning! Lucky us to be on hand to witness your dive into something new, MaryAnn. I'm already smitten with what you've painted thus far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty! It's always good to shake things up a bit!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, how fun!!! I’ll have to watch for you in the FB group for the class. I’m still on Walk the Dog as I organize and try out my supplies while I wait for a few more. And I’ve started my paper tubes 👍🏻. Such joy! BTW, love your leaves and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise! I'm really just starting on the actual homework too. I always tend to jump around and make a class my own right from the start. I haven't decided if I'll post on the FB page yet...but I enjoy seeing what people do.

      I couldn't be more thrilled that you're making paper tubes!!! That makes me so happy!

      Delete