C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Teacher

I got to be a teacher today....and that brought me a lot of joy.  

Ida and Sally didn't know each other until today....but I knew they both had an interest in gelli printing. So I offered to hold a class....and the three of us spent the afternoon in my dining room playing with paint and brayers!  It was awesome.

I had three stations set up and it didn't take long for the table to look just like my studio. 

There was magic in the mess!

Neither Ida or Sally had ever used a gelli plate before so we covered some of the basics.....and we just scratched the surface. They made background papers, created textures, experimented with stencils and masks, and learned a couple ways to lift a ghost print. They fully embraced the magic of that second and sometimes third and fourth print.....and it was so much fun to see there faces when they "pulled the print."

They each picked a limited palette so their prints would coordinate for future projects. I couldn't fit all their prints in the photos...and some of them may be developed further....but they both got a good variety.

The pop of orange in Ida's soothing scheme was just perfect...and we all agreed that this dark teal print picking up the remnant ghost print of a stencil was pure magic.     

Sally had a million questions and was gobsmacked every step of the way...and her enthusiasm was infectious. 

Her jewel tone palette was lovely...

 and she was especially interested in creating textures and finding all the ways to pick up the bits and pieces of the leftover paint from the previous print.
We all loved this one....and it was cleaning up the dried paint on the plate with a fresh coat of white paint. 

I am not a gelli print expert by any stretch.  But I love to play...and I have all the supplies....so was thrilled to share what I know with these wonderful women.  

And the best part is....they might be coming back for round two!  

Anyone want to join us?

8 comments:

  1. W O W ! I knew today's class would be taking place and was hoping you'd report on it, and you didn't disappoint. All three of you must be floating on air after the lift of making so much magnificent magic together! Do let us know when round two gets scheduled : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just so much fun spend an afternoon like this.....it's good for my soul! We all had a good time!

      Delete
  2. If you weren't 1000 miles away, I would be there in a heartbeat! This looks like so much FUN! Great job all the way around.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! Oh how I would love to have you at the table!

      Delete
  3. That sounds like it was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. I wish I were closer as I would join you on the next gelli adventure. Create On!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading about this, MaryAnn. It really does seem like magic when you pull a print from a gel plate!!! And such fun to do it with friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how I missed this comment Judy...but thank you! It IS sometimes a magical process!

      Delete