C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, January 21, 2024

Art Hearts

"I think the most special souls are those who see the humanness in others and choose to hold it with kindness instead of judgement." Helen Marie

One of things I've been playing around with is what I'm calling Art Hearts

I've done things like this before....I did a full calendar year of "handwritten hearts" for my sister Nancy in 2022.  

What I'm finding...again...is that the possibilities for Art Hearts are limited only by my imagination.  

I made this one today...and I quite like it.

All kinds of paper can work for Art Hearts.  I've been using gelli prints, painted papers, scrapbook paper, and now catalog snippets.  But junk mail, handwriting, cut up art, book pages, greeting cards and old calendars all would work well too.  Or a combination of any of them.  
This Art Heart started with a small collage of catalog scraps that I glued down on a piece of drawing paper with a glue stick . If the base paper is too heavy....the hearts are difficult to cut out.


I traced as many hearts on the back as I could fit and cut them out. I like them just as they are...but recently I've been mounting them on a background.


I glued together more catalog scraps and stitched on the heart.


I trimmed it up...and stitched it onto a piece of watercolor paper. I'm quite fond of this Recycled Art HeartI'm putting together a few small Art Heart collage kits and I'll be reporting on that part of my journey at some point soon.

8 comments:

  1. Mary in other PortlandJanuary 21, 2024 at 6:47 PM

    So I read Art Hearts in the title and twice more in the first section, plus another reference to hearts. and I STILL only saw two ice cream cones in the first photo. Sigh. Guess I need to go have one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you Mary. Maybe I'm missing something....but I'm not sure I understand the ice cream cone reference. But that does sound good!

      Delete
    2. Sorry, my eyes (or brain) go sideways often. In the first picture, in your heart, I saw a cone with blue ice cream on the left and and blue cone with white ice cream on the right. I do also see the heart if I try. :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks Mary....I see the icecream cone now! I took this photo at an angle....probably should have chosen another calendar image.

      Delete
  2. Your recycled art hearts are wholeheartedly wonderful, MaryAnn. And inspiring! Joining forces, catalog scraps, collaging, and stitching get at the heart of the best of art ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw ice cream too!
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha....I it now too. We just see what we want to see!

      Delete