C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, January 11, 2024

Snow Rollers

Subtitle: Who Knew!

Wisconsin recently had a wet snowfall...and LaVonn posted some photos on our sister message board that captured our hearts. We were all mesmerized....and I couldn't help but share them here.

Tim took photos of these strange...almost ghostly snow formations at the farm.  

They are naturally occuring snow rollers and can only form when the conditions are just right. They are also referred to as snow doughnuts, or snow tumblers. Who knew!  None of us did!

According to this article from howstuffworks.com there has to be the perfect combination of the right snow quality, terrain, and amount of wind for these snow doughnuts to form....and they're actually quite rare. The article was fascinating if you want to know more...you can follow the link above.

photo from the article

The very best thing about this....is the conversation that lasted over a couple of days.  Nancy described it as the "wind playing in the snow"....and/or work "done by snow fairies."  What a delightful image that created in my mind....thinking of the wind playing.

LaVonn reported today that as they were driving into town they notice hundreds of snow doughnuts in the fields.  They were hard to capture on camera while they were driving on the busy road....but she said it was amazing!

That led to both Marilyn and LaVonn sharing snowmen built by their grandkids...and beautiful shots of the heavy wet snow.  
This is what those snowmen looked like the day before they got snow covered. An extra one was built after this photo was taken.....Marilyn's family is famous for their snowmen!  


I think the snow fairies actually live here....
and they know all about snow rollers!


I found this snow roller on this site. I'm completely smitten!
Did you know?

6 comments:

  1. Snow doughnuts! Gluten free! What's not to love? Smitten with this new-to-me phenomenon. Thanks, MaryAnn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...didn't think of the gluten free aspect! Yes...what's not to love!

      Delete
  2. My cousin in WI posted pics of snow rollers as well! I had seen these before but didn't know what they were called. I love Christmas lights when they are covered in snow. All we have here is buckets of rain :(
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know someone who has seen them before.....I think they are totally awesome! And yes....lights in the snow are so magical!

      Delete
  3. These are a wow! I’ve never seen one even living in Wisconsin for a few years back when. We certainly had snow and ice storms. And I’ve been in a lot of snow up here in true Northern California but nope. I must put on fresh glasses and start paying attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou.....I couldn't agree more....they ARE a wow! I lived in Wisconsin my whole growing up....and don't remember seeing any.

      Delete