C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, January 13, 2024

Grid

A week or so ago I seized an opportunity and uses my gelli print rejects to make an art journal spread.  At the time I wished I would have stitched a grid rather than a swirl.

Today I seized another opportunity and cut up my recent not so great pan pastel pints and made another scrappy piece. And this time I stitched a grid.

I love this color combo...it reminded me of the sky in Becky's anchor image.


I decided to leave the irregular edges...and loose threads and started working on another spread in the art journal today.  I'm not quite done...so will share the finished pages tomorrow.


There was a pre-cut stubby page in the middle of the spread I'm working on....so I added a focal point. I used the pan pastels to add color to this commercial metallic paper....and sealed it with a fixative so the color wouldn't rub off. I couldn't stitch it into the book....so I pre-stitched the zig-zag and glued it in.  I think it looks stitched in!

I love this paper from Paper Source...and the beauty is it can be painted any color you want it to be. 

Full disclosure....soon after I did that last project I had enough scraps to do another piece.

I couldn't stop thinking about stitching a grid.
So that's what I did. I should have just left it alone....
I loved it with just the stitching.


But silly me....I painted a checkerboard with a white paint...and didn't like it at all. 

I lost all the color variation and texture in the green prints....I almost threw it away. 
But today I use the pastels to cover another piece of this fabulous Paper Source paper....so maybe I can turn this gridded disappointment into another opportunity.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for opening your heart and mind to opportunity, MaryAnn, leading the way for others (i.e. myself) to follow suit. So grateful! Eager to see where these pieces take you, especially the first grid. Tally ho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty. I'm keeping it pretty simple with the grid....I kind of like it just the way it is and letting the papers and stitching shine. I'm actually beginning to realize that I like making collage papers more than I like using them. And I'm really am more of an assembler....than an artist....and I'm OK with that.

      Delete