C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, January 18, 2024

Margie Morning

It's been a bit too icy for morning walks....

but the light was beautiful in the backyard when I went out to feed the the bluebirds.

As a general rule....Thursday mornings are Margie mornings...and that's always a good thing. There are two things to report.

She had a beautiful puzzle finished on her table....but I forgot to take a photo before I started taking it apart. I like to share what she's been up to.....it tickles me that puzzles bring her as much joy as they do me.
This color explosion will be on my table at some point.


Margie was gifted an amaryllis bulb for Christmas.  She liked the idea of it...but not the idea of tending it.  And she wasn't sure she had enough direct sunlight to get it launched. So I took it home....potted it up and hoped for the best. I've never done this before....so I wasn't sure I'd be successful. 

A week ago I noticed that the large bud was just starting to crack open...so I thought it needed to go back home.  I wanted Margie to be able to watch it unfurl.
Today....just one week later...it's several inches taller and the bud is opening up and at least two of the blooms will be unfurling soon. And I think there will be more.  We both admitted that it's pretty funny looking....and at this point we wouldn't really call it a handsome plant.  But we're pretty excited to watch what happens next....or at least I am.  Keep me posted Margie....I'll have to visit it...and you more often.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not particularly fond of amaryllis—not visually appealing to me; I can identify with funny looking/not handsome comments. HOWEVER, at the tail end of my third pregnancy, we purchased a bulb as a family. On the day Jay was born we started the bulb, with the goal of seeing what would occur first: the blossoming of the amaryllis or Jay's first smile. The winner: Jay-by Baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of agree about amaryllis....but when I see one in full bloom I am humbled and in awe by the pure magic of nature. They are incredible specimens.

      I do love your connection story.....and it's good to know that Jay's smile won.

      I have a friend who has a race every year around Christmas time to see whose amaryllis blooms first. It gives them a fun connection during the holidays.

      Delete