C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, January 5, 2024

Favorite Embellishment

My sister-in-law Alyson sent me this quote a few days ago...and it has resonated with me ever since.

"I have no major goals for this year; no deep desires to do more/become more/achieve more; no big lists of things to accomplish. All I want is to create and nurture more attention and presence in all I do/am. I want to be here...really be here. I want to notice, see, listen, touch, feel, taste, witness, experience. I want to take it all in. Savor the pain and the beauty. Do one thing at a time. Share from curiosity and inspiration. Hold as much value for the single drip as I do for the ocean. Assign deep meaning to moment-to-moment living. Unravel from the pressure the systems we live place up us to morph into machines instead of soften into our humanity.  

I want to spend less energy striving for an upgraded life and more energy fully living the life I already have." The Hoodwitch

Yes!

Several weeks ago I picked up some frosty scruff grass along the road.  

I wasn't sure if it would completely die back in the cold of the winter and I knew I wanted a little bit for printing. And at some point...maybe sooner than later it's going to be under some snow.


Today was the first day in awhile I didn't have multiple things on my calendar...so it was a puttering day....a little of this and a little of that. 

It felt good to be back in the studio...but I also felt a bit paralyzed.  So many choices...I wasn't really really sure what to do first. I felt out of practice. Then I saw the grass....so started with the gelli plate.  I made several prints....and here are just a couple.  I kept it simple....but it was a good place to start.



That led me to a tag....a good way to ease back into things. The colorful fish scales dressed up a simple grass print and helped it flow nicely from the last tag.


Fish scales may be my favorite embellishment lately.

4 comments:

  1. MaryAnn! You worked SUCH magnificent magic by combining your grass print and fish scales. Composition, contrast, color, cohesion—you've got it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well....magnificent might be a little over the top....but I do think it's sweet little tag. Thanks for the glowing feedback.

      Delete
  2. I think this is an excellent quote. It is so much more important to be part of what is happening NOW, as opposed to how much more/bigger/beyond to make things, in my opinion. (This is rather poor grammar but somehow couldn't correct it :)
    Lovely grass print, as well-
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for chiming in Kathy! I couldn't agree more! There is so much abundance in our lives already...let's let that be enough and celebrate and nurture it!

      Delete