C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, January 1, 2024

Just Another Day

Happy New Year!  

For a lot of people....the new year is a time to reflect on the past year and set some goals for the year to come.  But I'm not all that great at making and keeping New Year's resolutions....so for me it's just another day.  Another day to do the best I can with whatever lands in front of me...another day to recommit to healthy habits....and another day to find and celebrate the joy in my everyday life.

I do have a story to tell today....and it just happens to be about a beginning and an ending....and a creative journey of sorts.

I've have been following a little store on Instagram called Swallowfield located in Northeast Harbor, Maine.  https://www.instagram.com/swallowfield/

I'm not sure how I happened upon it....but I enjoy the colorful posts by Jennifer Judd-McGee, the owner, and knew that someday I wanted to visit in person.  Jennifer does a fantastic job celebrating this beautiful part of Maine and posting colorful vignettes of the goodies in her store.
Here are a couple vignettes from her Instagram page.  Sometimes her arrangements are all the colors of the rainbow...sometimes just one...and sometimes a limited color scheme.  If you like this sort of eye candy...I recommend scrolling through her Instagram page.  https://www.instagram.com/swallowfield/

On our way home from Cranberry Island this past summer...Swallowfield was one of the stops that I wanted to make....it did not disappoint.  It's a tiny little store in a charming coastal town...and it's jam packed full of colorful and fun things. 

I picked up a few small items....but mostly I just soaked it all in and wished I lived closer so I could go back again and again.  There were many handmade things...some of them made by Jennifer herself.  I had a delightful little visit with her and was able to tell her how much I enjoy following her shop.

One of the things that caught my eye was a puzzle. The image was Jennifer's own artwork... simple and colorful patterns and shapes. Just what I love.

I didn't realize at first that it was a wooden puzzle....but when I did I loved it even more....but hesitated spending the money. I admired it another minute and quietly put it back on the shelf.  

Afterwards I regretted not buying it. I love this store....and I loved the puzzle.  And because I met Jennifer I realized I would be directly supporting her art.

Paul and I are careful with our money.  We have most of what we need....buy what's necessary.....and occasionally splurge on a treat.  Then....in mid November...Swallowfield had a sale...and I gifted myself the puzzle.  It arrived in just a few days but I tucked it away because I wanted to revisit all my Christmas puzzles during the month of December. I finally started it on Christmas Day....and have been happily...and slowly working on it this past week.  

The colors and patterns were fun...and the puzzle was filled with special little shapes. If you've never done a wooden puzzle...it's a real treat.

Of course I celebrated when I made a path from top to bottom....and always collected the pieces of a design ready for the next time I sat down.  Pure joy!


When the end was in sight...I slowed down even more....
savoring it like the last few bites of a delicious dessert.


I finished it last night on New Year's Eve...a perfect way to end 2023.
Just another day of joy! 


And the very best thing about having it done is that now I get to pass it on to Margie...who I KNOW is going to enjoy it as much as I did.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful (wooden!) puzzle, delightful story! Thank you for introducing me to Jennifer Judd-McGee and Swallowfield.

    I am reminded of a few years when my sisters and I, as teenagers with nowhere to go on New Year's Eve, enlivened the time until midnight on December 31 by making a single jigsaw puzzle as many times as we could before midnight!

    YES! to every day's being another day to do the best we can with whatever lands in front of us … another day to recommit to healthy habits … another day to find and celebrate the joy in our everyday lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my...that's too funny about the puzzle....never heard of anyone doing that before! Do you remember how many times you completed it?

      Happy Joyful 2024 Dotty!

      Delete
    2. Checked in with my sisters, specific memories are fuzzy, although we all remember a few years of tackling the same puzzle. One sister summer it up this way: "I don’t think we actually completed it more than once per NYE, but I can picture us starting it again when we realized we had nothing better to do!"

      Delete
  2. How have I never heard of or been to Swallowfield? This summer for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure either! It's a charming little shop....and you're lucky that you DO live closer some of the year.

      Delete