C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Ordinary Time

When you're married to a minister you learn a few things about the liturgical calendar.  It includes the more well known seasons of Advent, Christmas, Lent, and Easter.....but it also includes Ordinary Time.  Ordinary Time is the time in between....the time that pauses for those reflective and celebratory more seasons.

I feel like I've been on pause since early November. So I'm celebrating Ordinary Time today...in my own secular way.  I'm quite content being back to the ebb and flow of regular days. I love the holidays and all the celebrations that come with them....but I also enjoy the quiet comfort zone of Ordinary Time.  

The ornaments and garlands are off the tree but we'll keep it up with just the lights for a bit longer.  The Christmas Moments are all tucked away and just a few snowmen have come out to play for January.  

Ordinary Time can still be colorful and fun.

So I'm keeping the confetti lights up for the winter....and this happy snowman will remind me the joy that can be found in Ordinary Time.


4 comments:

  1. I share your delight in Ordinary TIme and the quieter celebrations of same. Most of our decorations of the past few weeks have been tucked away. Staying in place is a set of four snowman coasters, a stuffed felt snowman in my tutorial station, several 12" clear glass snowflake plates perched on kitchen windowsills, a 'snow'-covered pine-tree-shaped candle. Newly in place for the 12 days of Christmas, a bowl of bright rainbow-colored noise-makers and First Night buttons. Newly in place for the coming many weeks, an understated pitcher holding various evergreen cuttings w/ cones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the blow by blow of what's staying in place or what's newly inplace for more ordinary time. I can kind of picture it all...and it's making me smile.

      Delete
  2. Love your idea of leaving the lights while using the snowmen especially around the house. I’ve used snowmen before but the little colored lights really add the joy! Just what I need to raise the empty feeling in cool, rainy weather. Enjoy the Ordinary Time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou! We need a little color and light during these ordinary winter months. Stay warm! Happy New Year!

      Delete