C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, March 22, 2024

Creativity Coach?

It's time to talk a little bit about Tuesday at the Table with Ida and Sally. (I love all the t's in that sentence!)  Working with these women around my table has been an absolute joy....and something I am willing to do with anyone who is interested. (And maybe we could even do it on Zoom.)

I've not always thought about myself as an artist....but I've been a teacher for as long as I can remember. I stumbled into my actual school teaching career by accident....but I grew into my art teaching quite naturally.  I've always enjoyed facilitating creativity and being a resource for anyone who showed interest. Paul recently thought I should call myself a "Creativity Coach"...and I  kind of like the sounds of that.  

Sports coaches don't necessarily have to be the best athletes...but they have to know enough to help inspire and turn their players into better athletes. Ted Lasso (have you seen that wonderful series?) didn't know anything about soccer....but he was a great coach. 

So maybe as a Creativity Coach...I don't have to be an accomplished artist...I just need to know enough to help my students uncover and tap into their own creativity....and facilitate and inspire art making.

My goal with Sally and Ida has been to facilitate the kind of art that they want to do but also introduce them to some new techniques and skills that might inspire them to widen their scope. I'm willing to try anything they're interested in....and chances are...I have most of what we might need.

I've also decided that anyone who takes a class with me will go home with as much supply and stash as they could possibly want...it's just part of the price of admission. So both Ida and Sally get to fill a bag anytime they come.   

This last Tuesday I offered up the idea of starting collage with a "masterboard"...or "mastersheet".....and both Ida and Sally gave it a try.  I describe what a masterboard is in this post: https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2022/09/mastersheet.html

Ida collaged a neutral masterboard....then cut it up and worked on the individual pieces adding pops of color and layers with painted papers and even a grassy napkin.  They are all works in progress that she can continue to develop at home.

We talked about how using something like this circle cutout (from a road map) can unify a piece and help pull it all together.  Ida can choose whether she wants to use it or not because I sent it home with her.

Sally started with more color in her masterboard...and certain areas were a little stark. I showed her how she could use zinc white paint to softened some of the colors and lines and unify the piece. ...and she can decide if it still needs a little more.  Once she cuts this up...she can start adding layers and more pops of color and collage elements on the smaller pieces.

Using a viewfinder...I showed her how she could isolate parts she liked to cut out and develop further.  

 

We also talked about the magic of using tissue...both hand drawn and printed....as well as pretty napkins when you separate the layers.  They also help soften a piece and work as a veil as the background just fades away and the design looks like it was drawn or painted on. I use a lot of hand drawn swirls in my collage work.

I painted these white swirls on deli paper and worked them into this collage for Becky. I love painting swirls in gold. Sally used one in her masterboard.
Recently I've been hand doodling on art tissue with a permanent marker or paint pens...and even sending tissue through my printer.  If I want to be sure the image doesn't smear, I collage it upside down.

When I use words...like this alphabet I print it backwards so when I turn it upside you can actually read it right side up like in this piece.  No smearing...and it looks like it's written right on the piece.

  

To put a piece of art tissue through my printer I tape it to a piece of paper...making sure the tape is really secure.  I turned it upside down in my printer tray and just print as usual.  

Now these two images of this black and white photo can be used as an overlay in one of my collages.  

Here Sally used a few of my doodles in one of her collages and the colorful striped parts are commercial tissue that I had doodled on. 

I sent them both home with art tissue so they could doodle their own.  

Creativity Coach?  Yup...that's what I want to be when I grown up.

6 comments:

  1. Holy moly! You sent me on a lengthy rabbit-hole run tonight! I followed the link to your masterboard post and then had to read each subsequent post until I saw all the followup masterboard postcards and was buzzing with art energy and ideas GALORE, and THEN I returned to tonight's post only to find it (and myself) swirling with more art energy and ideas, and now I'm wondering how I'll ever fall asleep. And, if I don't, so what? SO MUCH MAGIC AND DELIGHT AND CREATIVITY!

    Creativity Coach? Um … YES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha....you may be the only one who stuck with it to the end.

      That was a great art exchange with the materboards....so I'm tickled that you checked out how they came out. I guess I packed a lot into that post....so thank you for cheering me on.

      Sometimes my head is just exploding with ideas that it's hard for me to fall asleep too. I think it's just part of the creative process.

      Thanks again Dotty! Your enthusiasm is infectious and much appreciated.

      Delete
    2. Rabbit holes! You and Dottie sent me on one today. Your post with Dottie’s work sent me to her blog, then a post on blind contour drawing sent me to get educated about it! Thank you ladies, for the lovely distraction!

      Delete
    3. And if you ever decide to take your creativity coaching on Zoom… I’m in!

      Delete
  2. Didn’t realize I posted those last two anonymously. You have sent me an ounce of joy…. For which don’t believe I thanked you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy....thank you for all the comments! Aren't rabbit holes fun sometimes! You're welcome for the rabbit hole....and you're welcome for the ounce of joy! Once I have power...and I'm back online let's have an email conversation about Zoom! Thank you for expressing interest!!!

      Delete