C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, March 1, 2024

Outside of the Lines

Today didn't all go as planned....and that's just life going outside of the lines. Sometimes that's good....sometimes it's a challenge. 

But I actually thought this little watercolor went a little better than planned....and I'll take it!

I cropped it a bit and stitched it onto a card (I forgot to photograph it)...and it's on its way to a friend for her birthday.   

I've had this stencil for years...I absolutely love the whimsical and loose lines of the sunflowers. I've had mixed results on the gelli plate....but I'm still hopeful that I'll come up with a successful printing strategy at some point. 

So there is sat...waiting for the right inspiration. 

But rather than using it on the gelli plate...I put it on my lightbox and traced a corner of it onto watercolor paper. 

I started late one evening....and finished the next day.
late night photo with poor lighting

And I enjoyed every minute painting inside the lines.

And I'm chuckling as I write this....because I actually DID paint outside of the lines in several places.


....so I added the speckles to camouflage them.  

Turns out....the speckles are my favorite part...and they seemed to pull the whole thing together!  

Good things can happen outside of the lines.

4 comments:

  1. I love sitting in "story hour" when you share the beginning, middle, and end of the process and steps, and obstacles and solutions of one of your creations. Great stencil; I'm attracted to the way it both hints at and steers clear of being representational. What a compelling image you brought to life. Those splatters do effectively pull everything together, elevate what you had in place, and change the tone to more playful and carefree. Well done, MaryAnn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty! You're reference to "story hour" makes me smile! It IS a great stencil...and I will be playing with it again and again. Thanks for all the feedback on this version of it....it felt playful and creative!

      Delete
  2. Ditto! This is one of my favorites. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha....thanks Louise! It might be one of my favorite too!

      Delete