C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, March 9, 2024

Wonky Stars

This was just one version of the sunset a couple nights ago...it changed color by the minute.  

That sliver of blue sky at the horizon was such beautiful compliment to the pinks and purples....it was breathtaking! I went out to take a look 5 or 6 times over a 15 minute period.  How could I not!

After a couple late evening painting sessions I've finished this small negative space wonky star painting. 

It was 4  layers of paint....and I intentionally splattered and created blooms in each layer trying to give the background sky more interest.  
This morning in the light of day I thought it needed a little something...so I splattered some gold watercolor.  

I was a little hesitant....but I think it's just what it needed.  Phew!

I'll finish it up in the next few days and get it on its way as a 1st birthday card for Max....he and I have a star thing going.


This is the only "in progress photo I took.  

I covered the paper with a very pale wash and the lightest stars were sketched on top of that. Then I painted around them in the next darker value and so on.  I used a blue watercolor pencil to draw in the stars on the last layer so I could see them easier. 
It's always that last dark layer that make the other values really pop!
I just realized I might have missed a spot with the darker blue....but I can still go back and fix it. That's what happens when you paint wonky stars late at night.

2 comments:

  1. Beauty and joy, joy and beauty. That gold splatter: perfect!

    You will post the finished card, yes?

    ---

    He sat on the doorstep,
    propped against the frame,
    and watched the stars come out,
    one by one
    by three
    by a hundred.

    —Keri Hulme, The Bone People

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...the gold spatters were the perfect finishing touch. I probably will post the finished card...it will be pretty simple.

      LOVE the quote! You're the master at having the right quote at the right time.

      Delete