C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, March 8, 2024

Time to Put the Balls Up!

One of the very first posts on this blog over 9 years ago was called "Time to Take the Balls Down."  

Inspired by my friend Laura...I used to hang my glass ball collection from my dining room chandelier every Christmas....and enjoyed them for months.

I reinvented the arrangement every year...and never minded putting them up and down.

But when I chose the dining room fixture in our current condo....I didn't think about the balls...and the drum shade doesn't accommodate them.  So they've been tucked away....waiting for the vision in my head to come to reality.

But it was time to put the balls up!  I finally got the ladder Jim built installed against the ceiling in in my dining room window....and the balls are up!

It took me a good chunk of the day...and it was trickier than I thought. If they need a tweak...it's going to have to wait because my arms are tired. I think they all could be an inch or two higher. 😳

The ladder was inspired by the one my sister Angie had hanging in her bay window in Missouri.  She had all kinds of interesting and colorful things hanging from it and I always admired it.

I couldn't believe I didn't have a better photo of her window...this is the only one I could find....and you can just barely see the ladder there in the back.

It will be interesting to live with it a few days and see it in different light.  And it's not lost on me that the window valance has polka dots....so the balls are a perfect compliment.  All the colors are represented.

I'm pretty tickled that my vision is finally realized....and I'm pretty happy with it.

I think I'll be on the lookout for a few colorful vases and bottles at thrift stores and trade out a few of the blues and greens.

Late afternoon light.....I'm going to enjoy the shadows and reflections!



Just before sunset.....they had a whole different feel.
The balls are up!

8 comments:

  1. MaryAnn, brilliant idea! Brilliant results! You are a champion of keeping all the balls in the air, my friend : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha....that's one way to look at it. Thanks Dotty!

      Delete
  2. Oh, MaryAnn ~ this is the sterlingest of sterling ideas. I may have to steal this (or a variation) idea. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roseanne! Please do use the idea if you've got a spot for it. Angie would be pleased!

      Delete
  3. Oh I LOVE this! Another post that makes me smile!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! If all I do is put a smile on a face or two....it a good day. I love it too!

      Delete