C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, March 2, 2024

Mindful

Ida sent me this Mary Oliver poem....
and it's all that needed today.

Mindful
by Mary Oliver

Every day
I see or I hear 
something
that more or less

kills me 
with delight,
that leaves me 
like a needle

in a haystack
of light.
It is what I was born for -
to look, to listen,

to lose myself 
inside this soft world -
to instruct myself
over and over

in joy,
and acclamation.
Nor am I talking
about the exceptional,

the fearful, the dreadful,
the very extravagant - 
but of the ordinary,
the common, the very drab,

the daily presentations.
Oh, good scholar,
I say to myself
how can you help

but grow wise 
with such teachings 
as these - 
the untrimmable light

of the world,
the ocean's shine,
the prayers that are made
out of grass?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, and yes, and yes again.

    Today: the way my shadow walked a fence, the invitation of two ottomans side by side leading Dave and me to our Saturday date night viewing of an episode of Doc Martin, a photograph of myself at age 20 as a leader of a cabin of young girls at summer camp.

    ReplyDelete