C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Afterthought

"Creativity is something that needs to be practiced and exercised; the more you engage with the practice, the more you will get from it."  Philippa Stanton

Last season Alyson had fun taking photographs of curls and spirals on the vines in her community gardens.....and I never grew tired of seeing them in our evening photo exchange. I shared some of them here in this post.  I used one of them on the other side of the book....and several more here on this back side.


I shrunk the photos and printed them onto copy paper...then cropped them for the backgrounds.  I like this side better than the front....and it was an afterthought.  I guess sometimes afterthoughts can produce the best results.  

Happy Birthday Alyson!

 

 

You can see a video of the little book here on my Instagram page:

A reader asked what I use to cut out the tiny birds.  

For tiny fussy cutting I use this pair of scissors. They have thin blades and a very sharp fine point making it easier to get into the tight little places in and around the bird wings and parts.
As I was tidying up my fusing station....I had an idea for a page in the art journal....and another chance to practice my hand lettering.  

I painted the green lines with watercolor......then did the lettering and fused on the strips and shapes on before stitching it into the book.  I think it looks like spring.  

And Philippa's quote couldn't be more true for me. Absorbing inspiration and information is an important part of my daily creative practice and fuels my doing.

2 comments:

  1. That little book is so flipping cute everybody will want one. Happy Easter. And did you ever write about how you created the art piece in the header of your blog. I love it. I can visualize a little boy's one with bugs -- or little trucks following a road through all the pages and finding "things"..... etc. So many ways to do it....it truly is fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's a cute idea about the bugs! I'll keep it in mind. Yes...I've written about the paper tubes art piece many times. The very first post I wrote back in 2025 described it a bit (http://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2015/01/paper-tubes.html) but I've written about the process many many times. If you go to the label "paper tubes" on the side of the blog it will link you to all those posts. It's one of my favorite little art pieces and lives in my kitchen here in Maine.

      Delete