C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, April 1, 2023

When I Know Better!

"Do the best you can until you know better.  Then when you know better, do better." Maya Angelou

Since I cleaned my machine a few weeks ago I spent a few days machine quilting the little baby quilt for Max, my new grand godson (I'm making that a thing....but I do need to figure out what I want him to call me...I'm taking suggestions)...and I hemmed the bottom of Patty's wool coat.  Not a lot of sewing...but enough to make me curious how much fuzz accumulated in the bobbin cavity.  

Turns out a lot!  When I know better....I do better!  I'm going to be cleaning my machine on a regular basis from now on! And I'm sure those of you who are already doing this are are thinking: "it's about damn time!"

Not only does Alyson love birds....she  loves tiny things...so I wanted this little accordion bird book to fit into a match box.  I didn't want the bulk of a cover...so I made the cover right on the outside page.  The little cutout at the bottom...as well as all the birds are cutouts from the book she gave me.

Alyson...if you're reading this...you're getting a preview of what's coming in the mail.  Today is the start of your birthday month....so as I'm writing about this little book over the next few days. I'll be celebrating.....and thinking of you right up until your birthday! (and after)

I collaged the outside of the matchbox....and the little book fits nicely inside.  I thought the black marker was permanent....but when I added a thin layer of matte medium to the front the words smeared a bit.  It's perfectly imperfect....and I'm good with that and I think Alyson will be too! But next time I use this pen....I'll know better!  I'll share the inside pages over the next few days.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE matchbox art! And your sewing machine cleaning evokes a childhood memory of using an unbent paperclip to clear out dust that had accumulated between floor and close-fitting closet door bottom in my childhood bedroom—I worked painstakingly and with total absorption and enjoyment!

    hmmm … several times when I've commented, my blog title has automatically displayed itself. Not today.

    —Dotty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK....that may be the funniest childhood memory I've ever heard!

      Ah yes....the ever fickle commenting feature. It seems to have a mind of its own.

      Delete