C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

More of A Mindset

I'm posting early today because Paul and I along with our two sons, Nate and Sam, are going to a Sea Dogs baseball game tonight.  It's rare that we're all together....so I'm all in!

I recently listened to a podcast where the two artists were talking about the idea of a creative daily practice.....something I strive for. One of them shared about how she had to let go of that pressure because there is so much "life" that oftentimes take her attention away from her studio.  Through their conversation they landed on the notion that a creative daily practice doesn't have to involve actually playing with paints or making art.  A creative daily practice can be more of a mindset....and there are so many ways you can infuse creativity into your day. 

It can be just noticing and really looking at something beautiful or discovering a new artist or recipe.  It can be appreciating and acknowledging what others do for you....or celebrating a job well done. Or....it can just be connecting with and spending time with people you care about at a baseball game...even though sports aren't really your thing and the dew point and humidity are off the charts. Oh yes...and it might rain. It's all in the mindset! 

I didn't make any art today but:

I noticed these beautiful sword lily blooms on our morning walk 
and marveled at the way the blooms are opening up.


I appreciated the unusual and intricate detail of the individual buds.

I celebrated this found object Paul picked up.  
I have no idea what it is...but it may be one of my favorites in a while!

I showcased it on my table....as I painted a little more of my puzzle.

I deadheaded faded blooms and cutback some annuals to promote new growth....and as I took my cutbacks to the woods....I stumbled on this beauty.

I went for a swim...met and welcomed new neighbors at the pool. I cleared off and treated my patio for moss.....and did a few house chores. And I spent some time watching a few art videos and discovered a new artist on Instagram that will most certainly be an inspiration to me.  

Paul and I had an important and intimate conversation with someone new that was most helpful.....and will certainly lead to growth and understanding.

And finally....I wrote this blog post...which may be one of the most creative and important things I do on any given day.  Speaking of that....this is the 3,108th day I've done that. 

My creative daily practice was more of a mindset today....and it gave me satisfaction and brought me joy.

Go Sea Dogs!   

3 comments:

  1. MaryAnn, you co-created a magnificent day with the universe! Brava! In SEEING the art around you in all its myriad forms, you CREATED art.

    I created a flash-in-the-pan bond with the cashier at Lahey Burlington Hospital today when I paid in cash, she counted out my change the old-fashioned way, I exclaimed to her in delight at that transaction, and she lit up in delighted response. The best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! (I'm assuming that this is you Dotty!) Your kind words were just what I needed to hear. I love your exchange with the cashier about counting the change. There are so many "old fashioned" things that have been lost and how wonderful that we can delight in them when they pop up once in a while. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
    2. oops! forgot to ID myself! but you guessed correctly : )

      Delete