C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, July 17, 2023

Top Down

Liatris is another summer bloom that has a peculiar habit...it blooms from the top down. Most other tall spikey plants bloom from the bottom up. Each of those little individual buds open up one or two at a time like a little firecracker creating this fabulous fuzzy flower. But by the time the bottom is in bloom...the top is brown.....so if you love liatris...you just have to embrace that reality.



It just occurred to me as I'm writing this that liatris blooms exactly how a sparkler burns....and I'm going to think about every time I see one. I have fond memories doing sparklers around the 4th of July growing up. I love that writing this blog takes me down memory lane sometimes.


I'm in the middle of my fabulous new art puzzle by Kate Savage.....
and I'm working mostly from the bottom up. The colors are spectacular....and I feel like I'm painting it myself as I go.



I've got some of my little findings from 
Cranberry Island on display on my puzzle table.


I'm especially fond of these pieces of pottery.

 

2 comments:

  1. MaryAnn, you have me noticing as I move through my day—today's particular pleasures: the way my lunch stayed cool in a thermal bag; the delicate purple specialty geraniums in bloom in a pot on our back deck; meeting a hospital caseworker whose name is Comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our lives are richer when we notice things. I love your list...thank you for sharing!

      Delete