C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, July 15, 2023

Peculiar Stages

I know I'm a broken record....

but I love the way blackeyed Susans unfurl....in sometimes dramatic style.   


The petals start wrapped around the center in a ball....
then slowly unfold in all their glory.


Coneflowers do a whole different thing....and I've been thinking about how to describe it.  I stopped and photographed these on our morning walk.

The petals kind of peek out.....starting with just a sliver....then slowly stretch out and thicken up.  They start very light...almost white before they turn color.

I actually like them at these peculiar early stages....
more so than when they're in full bloom.



I wanted to try and sketch some of these peculiar early blooms....and decided to work right in my art journal. That's always risky. 

I'm thinking I should add more.  

But then it got me thinking....maybe I could do some cutouts! I love that whimsical look of fussy cuts of black line drawings.

I made this collaged background a few weeks ago as an experiment.  It didn't work for what I was doing at the time...so I cut it down and stitched it into the art journal where it's been waiting for some sort of a focal point. I'll either add more coneflowers...or some sort of a quote.  I do like the idea of an all over pattern of sorts.  I'll mull it over.


2 comments:

  1. those unfurling black-eyed susans encapsulate the messy imperfect wonkiness i want in my art; thanks for noticing and highlighting their 'peculiarities' here : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature can be the best inspiration! Philippa Stanton helped me learn to appreciate natural things on both edges of their prime....as they are growing and evolving....and as they are shriveling up and dying. That's where it gets really interesting...and sometimes peculiar.

      Delete