C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, July 3, 2023

Scrappy Strips

Roseanne sent me a link to a video of a scrappy strip demo by Kari's Mixed Media Arts.  I was intrigued....so gave it a try. It's starts with a simple mastersheet using just straight strips.

My goal was to make something for the mandala page in my art journal....so I chose colors that would coordinate. And although I love random curves and cuts, I do like this straight edge approach.  

If you want the full instructions, I urge you to watch Kari's video.  She explains it so clearly.

The next step is to cut the sheet up into more strips in a variety of widths. They are useful for all kinds of things and could even be rearranged and stitched back together. Kari recommends using them on the edges of journal pages. Once you have the strips...you can embellish them further.   


I added a few things to one of the strips and stitched it onto the stubby page next to the mandala.  Trouble was....when I contorted the book to stitch it in...it slid down and was crooked. Oops! I should have secured it with glue first.  So to soften the mistake I kept adding....and adding.  In the end...there is way to much going on...too many polka dots and it lost it's edgy/strippy feel.  It ended up kind of a scrappy mess....but I'm embracing it.


I used a small offcut to stitch the quote from few days ago into the book. ... 
and I cut the page down to accommodate the tab.


I layered another strip underneath for the previous page....I do like ripping these journal pages down so they layer when the book is open. Right now the quote is just stitched on one side....I can't get the sewing machine that far into the fold to stitch the other side. I need to mull over what to do with the rest of the negative spaces....and I'll glue it down when I'm done. One scrappy step at a time!


This is the tab of the under page is the start to another blank spread.
One scrappy strip at a time! 
Now I just need a couple scrappy quotes!

No comments:

Post a Comment