C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Book In A Day?

We woke up in Perry today!




Is is possible to make a book in a day?  A few days ago....the answer was yes.

When I was at Patsy's last time I made her a book to keep her game and card scores.....she keeps track of everything.  Her daughter Alex loved the book....and I knew at that moment I wanted to make her one as a wedding gift.  I had all the time in the world before my next visit.

https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2023/02/scorebook.html


But time passed...and just a few days before we left I told myself it was OK that I didn't get to it...and I let myself off the hook.  But I couldn't let it go.  So this last Saturday I made a book in a day.

I wanted something special for the cover....Alex is pretty special.  I auditioned several papers and fabrics...then remembered I still had a piece left from this batik project I started early in the pandemic.  I didn't use it how I had intended...so it's just been available....for whatever.

I had already made a pillow out of it for Alison....
and I decided it would make a beautiful book cover.



I used matt board for the cover and the two little binding pieces....and taped it all together with masking tape leaving a little bit of space in between.



I cut two pieces of the batik stripe for the front and back covers and added a piece orange batik for the binding.  I didn't want another bulky seam so fused the orange piece on...and topstitched with a decorative stitch. 


I got on a roll...so didn't take more process photos...but I had a little photo shoot of the book before I headed out of town.  

 

I fused fabric on the inside covers for a liner.



The inside pages are a hodgepodge of papers...
including some graph paper from Janice.  Alex will like that.


 

This binding technique is so quick and simple...
and will be my go-to for any book binding project.


6 comments:

  1. I haven't made a book in ages! Thanks for the vicarious opportunity to do so : )

    Everything about this little gem is delightful—the bright colors, the stitching on the front and back covers, the binding, and the hodge podge of papers. The hodge podge is especially appealing to me, held as it is in the embrace of a carefully constructed context Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well....that makes me feel good. I love every minute of making this! Thanks for all the kind words Dotty! I pretty much love a hodge podge of anything!

      Delete
  2. This is just phenomenal! The rainbow of bright colors, the decorative stitching, and oh how I love graph paper! What a delightful, heartfelt gift!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy....I appreciate your kind words! Yes...the graph paper was a nice touch.

      Delete
  3. Is there a video showing how you did the binding? I love all the bright colored threads! Are they waxed cotton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat! This was a fun book to make. I don't think the cording was waxed...I think it was a variegated hemp cord. I took a class where I learned the technique but there are several tutorials on YouTube. It's called a buttonhole binding technique. Here is one video. I didn't study it...but it might help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8OQ8_zWIoU

      Delete