C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Another Table Project

I've got a thing for tables....and I've written about many of them over the years. I love them all...and many of them have a story....and some of them have had to be modified or painted.  One of my favorite modified tables is our coffee table.  I wrote the LONG story about that table here in this post if by chance you're interested:   https://joyfulputtering.blogspot.com/2021/04/no-1123-12-d.html

This post is about another table project.

One of the things on my recent start list was to paint a table we found by the side of the road early last summer.  Paul carried it all the way home that day in June of 2022.....he's a good sport that way.

We I had been looking for a table for our front hall. It would need to be modified because there was a heat register in the way and I wanted it to sit against the wall.  I didn't want to spend much money on it....because I wasn't sure it was going to work.  But free was just the right price...so home it came.

It sat in the garage for a while....then late last fall Paul cut the back legs off to see how it would work sitting on the heat register. 

It worked....and when Paul set the table in place...the first thing he did was style it.  He knew it would make me chuckle to see the solo baseball figure front and center.  And FYI....the baseball guy has been on the table ever since.

I was pleased that it was going to work...it was just the right size....but not the right color. Black just was not what I was going for.


I thought I would paint it right after Christmas....I even bought the paint. But I wanted to have lights and decorations on the table for the season....and fresh paint would need time to cure. 

But Christmas came and went....and there is sat...covered with a table runner and other pretty things. It sat all winter....all spring...and now 1/2 the summer.  Paul even sanded it for me at one point. He had done more than his share....it was time for me to do mine.

So now that I'm in this start somewhere mode....I actually STARTED today! I've got two coats on the legs and the bottom.....and I'll flip it over and work on the top tomorrow. 

Oh my goodness if feels good to finally start!

4 comments:

  1. Great start, great story, great table! I love the kind of problem solving and creativity your front hall has called for. I also like this theme of starts, which are wonderfully contagious. I made just the start I needed yesterday on generating postcards to send to my granddaughters while they're at camp starting this coming Sunday, and yesterday's start begat further forward motion today. Hooray! and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty! I'm liking my "starts" theme too. It's giving me a little swing in my step....and am so glad it's contagious. Hooray indeed!

      Delete
  2. Clever solution to the heat register vs the legs puzzle. :-D And I'm liking peek at the rug that is in front of it. I have to say that it's very 'you' with the multitude of colors and the ovals/circles motif!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle! I'll email you a links to some posts about that rug so you can get a closer look. It was one of the only new things we bought for the condo....and as been the inspiration for all my paint and color choices. It's actually called "Paint Chip."

      Delete