C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, August 8, 2023

The Color Purple

Grapes, pansies, eggplant, lavender, amethyst, and Tracie's house...it's time for the color purple!  Yes...Tracie lives a purple house. How awesome is that!

Here's the purple rock carin card I made for Brenda
for our Rainbow Connection project.


I did a little experimenting creating the stones.  The only thing I new for sure is that I wanted the lines on the stones to be stitched.  The first round I did the stitching first....then painted the rocks. I added just of touch of gold here and there.


I cut them out and stacked some onto a 4 x 4 inch square 
and knew the concept was going to work. 


I thought the would look better with better with white lines so on a 
second batch I painted the rocks first...then did the stitching.  


In hindsight I think I liked the lighter colors on the first batch....
but I ended up using these darker ones. Go figure!


The whole card was actually inspired by this art piece by Abby Houston...and her patchwork like background gave me my idea on how to move forward.

I patched together 3 pieces of painted papers.  The watercolor dots on the left were done with a tiny little brush Becky gave me. It soaked up the watercolor well...and made a great little dot.  The blobs on the right were done with my finger dipped in watercolor. The bottom paper is commercial art paper with gold dots that I painted purple with diluted purple acrylic paint.  I stitched them all together on a substrate.....

 

....and glued on the rock cairn.


You know how I like a little frame...
so I stitched it onto a piece of cardstock with purple painted edges.


This the back...before I glued on the quote.

  

Of course there had to be a purple liner.  
Only a little bit shows on this one...but I think it's kind of cute.


And on each little purple daisy on this scrapbook paper I added a gold center.
My card for Brenda for the Rainbow Connection project.


Speaking of purple...aren't my neighbor's hydrangea fabulous!
They just keep getting deeper and deeper purple...and new blooms are still coming.  


 

Elle pointed out that my acrylic watercolor piece reminded her of hydrangea. 
I think she's right! 

8 comments:

  1. I always enjoy following the trail of your creative process, MaryAnn. My favorite photo in this post is the 2nd from the top : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exceptionally colorful post today! Or maybe the color itself is exceptional? All I know is, I love it! Those stones just sparkle with the gold addition and the painting has so much depth. What great fun you are having with your friends.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! I had fun with this one...and purple is such a fun color to play with. Just one more card....then we'll start something new!

      Delete
  3. I am really enjoying these posts about your current exchange project. You make me want to do them too (a create-a-long). But free (creative) time is not to be had at the moment. So I'll just watch-a-long. haha. Thanks for sharing with us all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're enjoying our project Elle! I hope at some point you have time for a little art. Sometimes just 10 minutes here and there is enough.

      Delete
    2. I would really like to make some fabric postcards - fused fabric method. I guess I need to dedicate time from some o'clock to another. And then just do it.

      Delete
    3. ha ha....love that! Fabric postcards sound like a fun project! "Start somewhere" could easily be followed up with "just do it!"

      Delete