C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, August 6, 2023

There's Always Joy

"Moments in a life sit side by side one another - the infuriating next to the divine, serenity next to fear, joy next to wonder and awe - moment after moment, one story layers over another that is erased or grown dim with time or distance - and all it in motion and adding up to a magnificent and very grand adventure."  Fia Skye

Thinking of a friend tonight.

Sometimes I forget my rule about doing anything too drastic after 8:00 p.m. But when I came across this little 3 inch pocket square I did a while back....it gave me an idea for the art journal and couldn't stop myself from jumping in.

I do love this technique of doing acrylic paint swirls...then watercoloring over it. 

The paint acts as a resist...and it dries a bit raised....so provides nice texture.

 

So I swirled up this page a few days ago....
and not very well I might add....at 8:00 at night.


I let it dry overnight....and did a little watercolor painting the next day.  The swirls should have been different sizes...it's just a bit too orderly. There might be ways to improve it...but for the most part....it's just fine.


Margie sent me a quote she found in her community newsletter....and it seemed just right for the opposite page.  There was already a lot going on in this spread...so I painted wide white lines with a paint pen on the off white paper to add a little interest....and lettered in the quote.


Not a bad little spread for a personal art journal. 



I looked back at my photos at the time I made the little pocket square....and I remember I went to town on the acrylic paint resist and watercolor  combo.  I think another page in the art journal is calling for some asemic acrylic writing with my fineline applicator.


There's the circle I cut out for the pocket on the far right.


And....yes....there was joy!  
There's always joy...even in the midst of sorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Totally love all this use of acrylic resist and watercolor overlay. Did you use the fine line applicator for both your anemic writing? Such joy and beauty here, MaryAnn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty. This was one of those things I thought of in the middle of the night and had to get up and do some white squiggles before I could go to sleep so they would be ready for me in the morning. Yes, I used a fine line applicator.

      Delete