C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, September 16, 2023

Flow

We've had some gusty winds today...and it's still blowing. But all in all....it's been a very manageable storm here in Portland.  

But the calm before the uneventful storm created a beautiful 
sky last evening....and it changed by the minute. 

I just went with the flow that started with zinnia doodling....
then coloring and cutting...and now collage and card making.




Then I flowed into a second one....and as I post these photos....I'm seeing the need for improvement. The background on this second one is too busy...and not enough white space showing.  I should have trimmed more off the top rather than the bottom.

I also think it would have been better if both flowers were a little more off the page.  Learning by doing...all part of the flow. But it's fun to practice!  

6 comments:

  1. learning by doing—aaaaaaaahh! a lifelong gift beyond measure.

    in your 2nd dccc, can't tell if the white card is affixed to the background in the photo or not, but the white space of the card offers the collage and the background to speak with each other in a focused and gently animated conversation, a connected back-and-forth about the same topic, each from a distinct perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting and helpful observation Dotty. Yes...the card is stitched on the background. I used a combination of straight and zig zag stitches. I use the notion of elements "speaking to each other" all the time when I decorate or arrange a shelf. I ought to think about it more in my art.

      Delete
  2. I love reading your entries, even though I do not do card making - I am a quilter. Just to let you know... I am in Nova Scotia and we received the full force of Lee. Not a terrible storm but trees down, roofs off and power off to over 100,000 homes. Lots of warning; we bought generators, battened the hatches and hunkered down with our "storm chips".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading along! I have been thinking it might be time to get back to some fabric projects....I do like to change it up. I was also thinking about you folks up in Canada.....you seemed to get the brunt of Lee. Hope you don't have too much damage at your home. I am a bit curious what "storm chips" are.

      Delete
  3. I disagree with you, Mary Ann. I think both cards are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete