C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Seed Season

"Traveling through life with curiosity rather than judgement is how one finds the magic in each moment." Erin Chatters

A week or two ago someone referred to this time of year as "seed season"....and the phrase has stuck with me ever since.  I love seeds and pods.....so this is the season for me.

These dangling maple seeds (AKA helicopters) caught my eye on our walk this morning...and I didn't realize how special the photo was was until I uploaded it onto my computer this afternoon. The way the sun is coming through the translucent pods was a perfect example of finding magic in a moment. 

Paul and I chatted about seeds as we continued our walk...and I did a little research when I got home.  Many plants produce seeds to reproduce....but others propagate in different ways. Ferns and mosses grow from spores, iris and lily of the valley reproduce by rhizomes, or runners.....and begonias and dahlias propagate from tubers.

A lot of us refer to these maple pods as helicopters....but did you know the real name is samaras....which the dictionary defines as a "winged nut."  Perfect!

I happened to come across this fall photo montage I put together several years ago while I was in Wisconsin....during seed season. I sense an ongoing seed and pod celebration coming on....so consider yourself warned.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the 'warning'—I'm ready! I was just noticing countless samaras today myself, also with today's magnificent late summer sunshine passing through them elegantly.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that time of year....and everything is worth noticing!

      Delete