C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, September 17, 2023

"Storm Chips"

Our lawn is littered with small branches, sticks, and tons of acorns from yesterday's wind.  

This little branch probably didn't expect to fall this early....but it gave me a chance to fully appreciate it in all its glory. The leaves were healthy and full...showing no sign of decline.....and the acorns were young...and adorable!

A reminder that joy can be found...even in the storm debris.

I was so tickled to hear from Marilyn in Nova Scotia.  She was in the direct line of hurricane Lee and reported trees down and power lost in her neighborhood.  She and her family were well prepared for the storm....including being fully stocked up with "storm chips."  I was curious what storm chips were....and I laughed when she told me it was their term for any and all junk food required to get through a storm. I love that...and may adopt the phrase as well.  She noted that for some it might be potato chips....but for her it was ice cream and wine.  

I think my "storm chips" would be chips and guacamole....and maybe a little nutty dark chocolate.  

This was last night's sky after the storm. What a gift.

2 comments:

  1. I've been rounding up twigs and small branches from our yard as well and, like you, we barely got touched by Lee. I went with a nephew and his wife to a stretch of granite shore here this morning, thinking the sea might be rough, as it often is on the day after a storm. It was rougher than usual, with bright white froth coming to life again and again as the waves rolled in. Skies were blue, sun shining, water surface bejeweled with dancing sparkles.

    For me, storm chips would be books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love visiting the ocean during or after a storm. I haven't done it in a while....so should put it on my list. Yes...gotta have books during a storm.

      Delete