C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, September 23, 2023

Tiny Trees

Subtitle: Time Will Tell

We see what we want to see........and I saw a tiny tree in this red sumac leaf.

The sumac leaves are some of the first to turn in the fall....and I enjoy watching the change.

A few weeks ago I stitched these free motion tiny trees on paper. 
They were only about an inch tall. 


Then I tried another version on fabric....and just today I wondered whether I could watercolor on fabric?  Turns out I can....but I'm not sure how colorfast it will be. Time will tell.


And speaking of tiny trees....this puzzle caught my eye every time I saw it in the LL Bean catalog.  I love the sketchy tiny trees...and the swaths of color creating such a whimsical overall pattern. At $34....I was hesitant.

But about a year ago I found it at a Goodwill store for just $2...and I wasn't hesitant at all.

It looked a little daunting....I wasn't sure if it would be fun...or frustrating. So there is sat. My last two puzzles were pretty easy....so I decided to choose one from my stash that might be more of a challenge.  It was time for tiny trees.

The border went together pretty quickly because of the directionality of the trees. And that directionality...and the gradation of color were going to be the key to success.
 So I've been sorting the colors into separate boxes....and now I'm grouping and arranging the pieces in the boxes with the trees going up and down in the right direction. 
 

I found the first inside piece pretty quickly.....so I'm fairly certain this is going to be a fun one. But time will tell...on these tedious tiny trees!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for seeing and sharing the tiny tree in the sumac leaf! And I LOVE that you saw and purchased the tiny tree puzzle for $2 at Goodwill : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We see what we want to see! The Goodwill puzzle was quite a score....I'm going to enjoy every minute.

      Delete
  2. Oh I really love those trees sewn on fabric, and then watercolored. I have some "Gelato" sticks (https://www.artisticartifacts.com/product/770172.html) that are easily thinned to look like water colors.

    ReplyDelete