C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, September 1, 2023

Free Motion Flowers

What a wonderful couple of weather day's we've had! Warm in the sun...cool in the shade. Late summer perfection!

Every morning I check out the back gardens....Ilook for blooms and the embrace the changes. There were six visible buds on the white rain lily this morning....

 


.....and by 10:30 four of them were open.

 


The turtle heads are peaking out.....


...and the bees were all over the Devil's Bit.

 

I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed watching
 these fuzzy blooms unfurl and flop around in the wind.


And these two lovelies were on our walk....

 

...and loosely inspired some free motion stitching.  Playing around with free motion flowers on paper has been on my mind for a while...and it feels good to be back at the sewing machine. 


I wasn't so wild about this finished product....it's just a little too tidy and tight.  It looks like a flower a child would draw.  

The circles are my favorite part.  It would have been better if the stitching around the petals was a little more loose and wild. But there's potential...I do like the idea of  adding in a little fabric.


This was actually my first one....and I think it has more potential.  
The watercolor background could use some improvement....but the loose stitching is more of what I'm going for.  Stay tuned for more free motion flower fun.

6 comments:

  1. The loose stitching and splatters and loose painting in that last image are glorious! Thank you for today's daily dose of MaryAnn : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty. Yes...loose is better.....I'm going to keep practicing.

      Delete
  2. I am so loving your stitched flowers on paper. Very inspiring. Thank you for all the flower pictures. I am so enjoying them myself as at this time of the year flowers are pretty non-existent in our neck of the country. We were blessed with a glorious hard thunderstorm last Sunday but it didn't help the water situation much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine....glad it inspires you! It's fun to just play around. Glad you finally got some rain...but I wish the weather in general was better there in Texas. I do enjoy my gardens...and this is the first summer that I can remember that I NEVER had to water.

      Delete
  3. Yes, it was much easier to see what you were saying with the second example. Love them. The loose painting I think automatically makes the stitching a little freer. Great inspiration for the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for chiming in Lou. I totally agree...the loose painting helps being more free with the stitching.

      Delete