C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, November 27, 2023

Blobs and Doodles

I'm not sure where I saw this...but it made me chuckle.

How to stay on top of housework when you have a craft room: 
1.  You can't.
2. Find a new dream.

I made another little tag....this time I used a few of the watercolor blob flowers I did while I was away with an injured thumb. There is improvement...btw...but one wrong move sets me back a bit so I'm still wearing two braces almost all the time. 

The back of the tag is a little watercolor doodle from the same painting session.

A couple evenings ago while I watched TV....I painted some larger watercolor blob flowers then did some doodling....it's a little wild. 

It's about 8x10...and I'll probably cut up because smaller parts are much better than the whole. 

Then I can knock down the  neon color a bit with some translucent white paint and possibly make other improvements.
Pieces and parts can be used for a variety of things: something in my art journal...tags...or cards. We'll see....but these blobs and doodles were fun.


I like when people ask me questions....and Dotty asked about my Christmas wreath....so I thought I'd share how I put it together.  

I bought a 20 inch plain green wreath at a local garden center along with the gold bow.  I generally go for a red bow...but this one spoke to me this year. I do reuse my bows....so this was a bit of a splurge.
I love real winterberry....and have used it several times in my outside decorating.  But it doesn't last...and ends up being a bit of a mess.  So I'm always in search of outdoor sprigs and stems that can withstand the weather.  Most red berries are covered foam that just fade and fall apart.  I'm constantly carefully squeezing fake berries when I seem them to see what they're made of.

What works for me is hard plastic berries...which are indestructible.  I found this garland several years ago and this is two pieces tied together that I simply wrapped around the wreath.  Easy peasy!

All the berries in my urn are also hard plastic that I've used over and over.   

6 comments:

  1. Your watercolors doodleblob flowers make a terrific volunteer corps for found compositions—love how you showed us one such!

    Woo hoo—thanks for answering my DIY wreath questions. New question: any chance you know where you got your red berry garlands and if you might be able to direct me to a source??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had this a while....but may have gotten it at Seasons Four in Lexington. I'm not sure. I did a quick search on Amazon...but all I saw was a foam center. They say it can be used outdoors but it may only last a few years. I did a wider search and found this source: https://factorydirectcraft.com/catalog/products/2149_2043_2049-48721-weatherproof_red_berry_garland_indoors_or_outdoors.html This is just one variety....so look over all the garlands and the key is "weather proof" and theirs are vinyl. I'll also send this in an email.

      Delete
  2. The watercolor "blobs" turned into flowers which turned into such a lovely, creative piece!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The watercolor blob flowers are beautiful! I look forward to seeing how you use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy....I appreciate the feedback! We'll see what happens to them....I never quite know what comes next.

      Delete