C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, November 4, 2023

Fish Scales

I've been working on Tracie's and my Anchor Image Exchange pieces for our art group. I'll get Brenda's image tomorrow and Becky's next Sunday.  It's strange to be working on something I can't share yet....but I'm challenged and having fun! I know the whole project is a bit confusing....but it's actually not as complicated as it sounds and I'll look forward to talking more about it later.

Some of what I've been doing has involved some catalog snippets....so as I was cleaning up the table I made a little fish scale tag inspired by Jennifer Wilkin Penick.  Jennifer does a lot of collage with fish scales from both recycled papers and her own painted papers.  I enjoy her whimsical loose style...and you can check her out here:  https://www.instagram.com/jenniferwilkinpenick/

There is something about these simple rounded shapes that appeals to me.

I wished I would have added one pink or orange scale as a nod to the last tag....but this one lone spot will have to do. 

The color scheme and this "spot" flow well from last two cards.  I think I'm enjoying going with the flow with these cards as much as making them.


Speaking of orange spots...I was doing some chores at the pool and was quite taken again with these euonymus berries.  Or are they seeds? 

I've seen them here and there on our walks and think I posted a photo not that long ago

. They start pink...and burst open to bright orange.

 

I brought a handful home with me....


...and will watch them on the window sill for a while.


I scrolled back through Jennifer's Instagram page...and so many things sparked ideas.  

Here she added her fish scales to the front bottoms of envelopes she used for an ATC swap. (artist trading cards)
And these were some of the ATC's that went inside.
I do like the mix of the fish scales and vintage photos.

2 comments:

  1. The euonymus fruit, with its pink exterior and bright orange seeds within, is reminiscent of the fruit of bittersweet vines in its opening-up-to-reveal-seeds behavior.

    I'm very taken with the fish scales, both on your go-with-the-flow tag and on the envelopes. I foresee some fish scale play in my studio. I certainly have the fodder at hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....these are a lot like bittersweet. Don't you just love anything that has a fabulous reveal like this!

      I'm certainly going to be playing more with fish scales....I'm taken with them too!

      Delete