C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, November 3, 2023

Sense of Satisfaction

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  Thomas Edison

Paul and I walked by the strawflower patch this morning.  We've had a couple nights of light frost...so they're starting to droop because the stems got nipped.  I may get my nerve up and knock on the door and ask if I can have a bloom or two....they are perfectly dried....and still very beautiful.

It's been quite chilly lately....but I took advantage of the warmer sunshine this afternoon and  finished my outside chores.  I had a full cart of cutbacks to spread back in the woods....it kind of looked like a big bouquet.  

It will all decompose...but it will also provides shelter for little critters this winter.  There are a few places I have a compost pile going...and I turn it as best I can in the spring to promote the process.  

There is a real sense of satisfaction doing some physical work. And I love getting to this point when this fall work is pretty much done and it's time to start nesting inside.

So the back garden is all tucked in for the winter. ...nothing left but the boxwoods.  

And one of the joys of condo living is that a crew will come through a couple of times and pick up all the leaves as they continue to fall.
I just couldn't dump this gorgeous fern. I have absolutely no space in the condo to winter it over...but I'd sure like to.  It could last several more weeks this close to the condo and that will give me time to collect what I need for a fall winter display in my big urn. I do love a welcoming arrangement at my door.


I spy Betty The Bear.  Do you see her? It took me a few days to find her....
but there she is taking a little train ride in the TV/play room.  Thanks for playing along Paul! 


BTW...Paul's dad made that wooden train puzzle....and I adore it.

2 comments:

  1. Our Boston fern is still looking lush and sturdy, too, whereas the past couple of nights snagged most of the life from our dahlias, zinnias, asters, and other blooms that have been glorious up until now. One garden resident that is still resplendent is a pumpkin that traveled by vine when it was JUST starting, weeks and weeks ago, and elected to park itself in a large (~15 in diameter) ceramic pot Dave had set at our front garden border. The pumpkin soon crowded out all seedlings in that pot and its own diameter now exceeds the pot's. Great fun!

    Sounds like you're doing a terrific job of tending to transitional tasks in your yard and garden spaces, MaryAnn. Your sense of satisfaction is well deserved : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love watching this whole circle of life thing. The woody stemmed things are the last to get nipped.

      I adore your pumpkin story....and can picture it outgrowing the pot. It does sound like great fun. Thanks for sharing it!

      One of the best thing about gardening in our climate is that you get to put it to bed for the winter. And I'm always eager and excited to watch it all come back to life in the spring. Rest is a good thing.

      Delete