C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, November 13, 2023

Pieces and Parts

Thank you for all the comments and emails about ginkgo trees! You just never know what's going to strike a chord.

Margaret even wrote a haiku:

Leaves, stripped bare from trees
Yellow carpet hidin green
Clearing view of blue sky.

I am now wearing a thumb brace on both hands because my left thumb was getting sore from compensating for the right.  I'm heading in the right (pun intended) direction....but I think I've got at least a couple days left of limited activities.

But I'm doing fine.  I actually went through my whole clothes closet!!!

Just before I went on my girl's trip Rosie sent me a link to a video from Maya Sozer that captured my attention. Maya gathered leaves and pine needles to create some abstract art.

You can see her video here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CzJmiqMu97u/

I couldn't stop thinking about it. I was finishing up chores and getting ready for my trip...but I had to give it a quick try. So I gathered some supplies and headed to the back yard.

I didn't think it was successful at the time...and knew I would try again when I got back. But while I'm resting my hands...I thought I would share my results anyway....because maybe they're not as bad as I thought.

 

Using tips from the video I lightly misted the paper before I added the debris and paint.

I used acrylic ink from bottles with droppers and the colors were shockingly bright. But it's what I had...and time was limited to mix my own colors.

After I added the drops of color I lightly misted it again.  Ultimately I may have added too much water.  Time would tell...it needed to dry....and that took a long time.

My second try was with liquid watercolor in the same kind of dropper bottles. 

Again...I used WAY to much water because it mostly all pooled together and I thought the colors seemed too saturated.  

It's all part of the trial and error process.

As I looked at the results again today....

...I realized they might not be as bad as I thought. They certainly can be the starting place for something more.

And it's much better when I isolated pieces and parts.



Here's the watercolor experiment.  It's mostly one big blob....
but the edges are kind of interesting.



This was a third one I thought was an absolute failure at the time.

But again....pieces and parts are growing on me.

I think this small piece is kind of pretty! 

When my thumbs are better....I'm going to play with these a bit more.  And hopefully try the technique again.

2 comments:

  1. two thumbs up (pun acknowledged) for your magnificent exploratory Maya Sozer art! love the found compositions—I am a big fan of playing freely and finding the hidden gems after the fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty! I hope to take some tips from your playbook to play freely with these!

      Delete