C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Nests

I finished this fabulous puzzle today....and have already passed it onto Patsy and her husband Brian to enjoy.

I loved every minute of this one!  Do I say that every time?  But I really really mean it this time.

 The little nooks were full of colorful curiosities...including this little nest.
Speaking of nests....did you know that Queen Anne's Lace forms a nest?

There was always Queen Anne's Lace along the roadside where I grew up.  

I've posted this photo several times with the farm I grew up on in Wisconsin there on the horizon....and the Queen Anne's Lace along Fox Road.



I watched this clump of queen Anne's lace all summer long on one of our walking routes here in Portland.

And I loved all the stages.

On the other side of the sidewalk there's a field with other wildflowers including black-eyed Susan. It's takes me right back to the Wisconsin roadsides.

I think the flowers are delicate and delightful.


As the flowers finish blooming they curl inward to form a little nest....eventually drying into a brown ball of seed heads.  I took this photo back in August.


I found this photo online...it really shows the nest and the beautiful seeds.


Why am I writing about this now?  I picked this dried Queen Anne's Lace flower head this morning on our walk....and you can still see the nest shape.
Still celebrating Seed Season!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this ode to Queen Anne's Lace, MaryAnn. I've always been partial to it and I delight in the teeny tiny deep purple flower that appears in the center of many of the plants. I just looked up QAL and learned that one out of every four plants has a chance of developing that single purple flower in the center—I knew that not every plant had the purple center but I didn't know there was an official ratio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew they had a purple center....but I didn't realize only some did. How interesting! Thanks Dotty!

      Delete