C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Ironic Birthday Meal

Margie recently shared a story with Paul that he hadn't heard before....and I couldn't help but share it here.

Thanksgiving in 1958 was on the 27th....almost the latest day in the month it could possibly be...and Margie was 9 months pregnant and due anytime. 

The day before Thanksgiving that year Margie got a call from May, a 90 year old woman from her church who needed to get a few more things from the grocery store for her Thanksgiving meal.  Margie being Margie....couldn't say no. Here's the rest of the story in her own words:

"So on a brutally cold, windy day, I loaded up Liz, who was 2 years and 2 months old, picked up 90 year old May with her cane and headed for Ideal Market, yes, the day before Thanksgiving.  Quite a parade, May struggling along, Liz, too independent to ride in the grocery cart, and me hugely pregnant with a 9 pound 13 ounce boy."  

Paul was born 3 days later. You're amazing Margaret Shupe! 



I made a big deal a few days ago about how nice it was that Paul's birthday wasn't getting overshadowed by the Thanksgiving celebration this year.  And the irony is not lost on me that the birthday meal of his choice is a traditional Thanksgiving feast.  We had our actual Thanksgiving meal last week at Margie's....so there were no leftovers. We both enjoy having leftovers in the freezer and Paul always made a big pot of broth that we freeze for winter soups.

So tomorrow is Paul's Thanksgiving inspired birthday meal....we're roasting a turkey and making all the fixings that go with it.  

So....it was time for me to make sauce from my hand picked cranberries from Gouldsboro.  

They've been in the freezer since I got back...

...and now they all cooked and ready to go...and 1/2 of the sauce is back in the freezer.

And speaking of red berries.....upon further dialogue with Dotty about my red berry garland on my wreath....I did a little google search.  I learned that the terms "weatherproof" and made of vinyl are the key ingredients for indestructible outdoor berries.  I didn't see anything on Amazon that didn't have a styrofoam center....but I found  company had several styles of garland, sprigs, and stems in weatherproof vinyl.


2 comments:

  1. Love the story of Margie's giving 90 y.o. May much to be thankful for on the day before Thanksgiving 1958.

    LOL regarding Paul's birthday meal of choice!

    Like you, we typically cook up a turkey once a year whether we host Thanksgiving dinner or not, from which we get quite a few meals of turkey and considerable quantites of turkey stock to freeze. In fact, we had turkey soup for dinner tonight, made from our 2022 turkey : )

    I'm grateful for your attention to detail regarding indestructible weatherproof artificial berries for outdoor decorating—on my own I'm guessing I'd have purchased ones with styrofoam centers with no idea of their lesser durability. Whew! Thank you!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty....it sounds like we're on the same page with making a Thanksgiving meal when it works. Don't you just love soup season!

      Good luck with your wreath.....I would love to see the results.

      Delete