C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, November 12, 2023

Ginkgo Day

When Paul I lived in Lexington there was a large ginkgo tree in the front yard of the church parsonage which was our home. Unlike other deciduous trees the stems of ginkgo trees harden off at the same time so they almost always drop their yellow leaves all on one day after a hard frost. If you've been following for a while you will know I used celebrate Gingko Day every year....it was one of my favorite days.

We happen to know the couple that lives in the parsonage...and David and Adam celebrated too and sent us this photo. 

Today was Gingko Day!

These next photos are from the years we lived there...

sometimes the leaves were a yellow green....sometimes a golden yellow...sometimes lemon yellow.
I tried to make a gingko angel one year...it didn't really work.


I was always fascinated with the variety of shapes and sizes of the leaves.

Happy Ginkgo Day!

6 comments:

  1. The ginkgo day photos are spectacular! I wasn't aware of the all-at-once nature of ginkgo leaf-dropping until just a few years ago when traveling in western MA where a huge ginkgo resides. Although our visit didn't coincide with that year's ginkgo day for that tree, a sign beneath the tree offered the info and story of ginkgos : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a few years to clue into why this happens....but then I tracked it and could almost predict it. There were a few years I had to be out of town....and made Paul...or neighbors keep me informed. I'm so tickled that David sent me a photo. Ginkgo Day lives on!

      Delete
  2. We don't see many ginkgo trees in our neck of the woods and I love them. When we were in China in 2019, we saw many. Loved it. Too bad ginkgo leaf angels don't work. ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ๐Ÿงก

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen photos of them in China....and they were quite spectacular. It must have been wonderful to see them in person.

      Delete
  3. I love ginkgo day- look at all of that yellow! A friend of mine always sends me a pic/video when her tree starts dropping leaves. I was astonished years ago when she told me all of the leaves go in one day. I have a couple of quilts that are quilted in a ginkgo pattern just to celebrate!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that your friend includes you on her ginkgo day! It's quite something to experience. The leaves are such a pretty shape...so can picture is as quilting. It must be beautiful!!!

      Delete