C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, November 24, 2023

Punctuated by Blue

On our walk this morning I was drawn to the bits of blue in this little patch of ground....then realized they were paint drips from arrows and lines sprayed for some road work.  

But it was still kind of beautiful in its own way.  There's a lot going on in this small space....and the colors...textures...and bits of frost are somehow punctuated by the blue. 

Then there was this beautiful scene with the tall grass punctuated by the blue sky.


And as Paul and I turned the corner down our street....I was blown away by the bright blue sky.

But I do I think Paul is the punctuation mark in this scene.

A few people asked me about the "Stitch Meditation" Facebook group I referred to yesterday.  Meditative stitching is not new...but Liz Kettle started a movement and gave it a name back in 1994. 

Here Liz's website....and if you scroll down a bit you will see the link to the free Facebook group where people share their work.
https://www.textileevolution.com/

Here is Liz's Instagram page:
https://www.instagram.com/lizkettle/

Stitch meditation....sometimes called slow stitching...is taking the time to mindfully create something by hand with just a needle and thread. 

I enjoy the meditative slow stitching of these paper pieced little quilts I've written about so many times. And I'm looking forward to my thumbs getting back to normal so I can stitch again. 

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, thank you for this introduction to Liz Kettle and stitch meditation, MaryAnn! I LOVE stitching by hand. I haven't don't any quilting recently but for a number of years I did a fair amount of one kind of quilting or another and my favorite part was the hand stitching. Methinks I need to get myself some fabric scraps and get going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the hand stitching best too! Let me know if you need fabric scraps!

      Delete
    2. 1. just noticed my typo (or auto-incorrect's intrusive entry into my comment), i.e. don't/done

      2. i DO need some fabric scraps … would be delighted to receive a few tiny starter pieces … are you offering??

      Delete
    3. Yes I'm offering! I'll email you.

      Delete