C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, August 19, 2024

Beautiful Butterflies

There is freedom waiting for you on the breezes of the sky. And you ask, "What if I fall?" Oh but my darling, what if you fly? Erin Hanson

This is the week we keep our Tiny Pages Art cards....and the theme was flying.  

I found this Beautiful Butterflies book at a thrift store...and snapped it right up!  It has nice thick creamy pages...and I knew all along I was going to cut out the butterflies and moths...and use the rest of the pages for printing and collage. 

I used the first butterflies on my "flying" card.

Because I am mostly working right on the card...I've had a few flops. But inspired by Dotty who often uses earlier art as an underpainting for new work....decided to just start layering on the discarded piece.

I don't have a photograph of the underpainting...but I took a gelli print reject and happily scraped and splattered acrylic inks and added bits of gold.

I'm actually quite fond of the textured background...so feel a bit empowered to do this more often. I certainly have a lot of rejected art to work with!  

I kept the back a little more monochromatic with just hints of the other colors....but of course added another butterfly.  Or maybe this is a moth.  I'll share the other "flying" cards as I get photos!

I hadn't looked at the actual hardcover of the book until today...and it's FABULOUS! And it validated my color choice for the back of my card my little gold accents! 

 

Oh...how I love Beautiful Butterflies with a little bling!

4 comments:

  1. MaryAnn, YOU are flying! Look at what you brought into BEING! I am dazzled thinking of all the creative energy embodied in just this one tiny card. I feel awe right at my center : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that makes me feel good Dotty! Thanks for glowing response to my tiny art card...and the nudge to just splatter and throw paint on something old....making it something new! JOY!

      Delete
  2. Well done! These are just lovely!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! There was not real plan....I knew I was going to use the butterflies....but the background just happened! Sometimes it's better not to overthink and just play!

      Delete