C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Saturday, August 10, 2024

Thriving

It's refreshing....and quite heart warming actually to hear politicians talking about joy. It feels so hopeful! 

I have a shrub in front of our condo that I have nurtured since it was just a tiny little twig.  All this time I thought it was a daphne...but my plant app tells me it's actually a Japanese pieris, a type of andromeda. The new growth comes in pink.....and makes me smile everytime it appears. 

At least 10 years ago....maybe 12...I purchased a flat of tiny little evergreens when we lived in the parsonage in Lexington. There may have been 6 little shrubs in the pack...all different...and they were adorable. For several years I assembled a winter planter for the stoop at the back door....then I would move the plants to the garden for the summer. They were small...so I could just tuck them here and there.

But eventually they got too big to keep transplanting....so I found permanent places in the yard...and a few didn't make it. But this variegated pieris survived...and it was my favorite...and I knew I wanted to see it through long term. So I moved it to the condo.

It started in the backyard by the patio...but it wasn't the best spot for it. Then when I reworked the front garden I thought it would make a good focal foundation shrub...so the poor things got moved again. You can see it there in the middle between the begonias.
It's been in its new spot for about 4 years now...and it's thriving. 

Paul and I have been retired in our new spot now for almost that long....and we're thriving too! And there's a good chance that some of our new growth is pink too!

2 comments: