C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Sunday, August 4, 2024

Tenacity

tenacity (noun) the quality of being very determined; persistent forward momentum with a game plan; to never stop trying to achieve a goal even in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds

There are all kinds of things I could write about today....but I'm choosing the thing that took a little tenacity. It was probably the silliest thing I spent time on today....but I was determined... even in the face of seemingly (somewhat) insurmountable odds.

I have a thing for little jars.  Actually I have a thing for any "little" thing...but there are a zillion uses for a little jar. Right? Are you with me?

Paul and I don't use a lot of mayonnaise...so we buy it in these tiny jars. When we emptied this one...I was compelled to get the label off. I soaked it overnight in water and Paul was a bit disgusted this morning with the slimy mayonnaise floating on the top of the water in the yogurt container holding the submerged jar. I assured him I had a game plan...and I was on it.  

The first round was loosening the plastic coating on the label. And why that plastic coating is necessary is beyond my comprehension. Once it was loose I had to slice it with a box cutter...and peel it off in pieces. Then I soaked it again in warm water to loosen the next paper layer.  

At this point I sprayed it with Goo Gone...works wonders on "normal" labels....but mayonnaise labels aren't normal.  Once it sat for a while I used a razor blade to scrape the goo off the sides of the jar....a messy and probably dangerous. But I had a job to do....and I was determined! 

I got most of the label off...and sprayed it again with Goo Gone. After it sat for a bit...I was able to scrub off most of the residue from the label....again...a very messy job. It took me just as log to clean the goo off my hands. 

Finally...I ran it through the dishwasher.....and now....I have a fabulous...and very clean little jar. 

For now...I filled it with some dried flower petals that have been kicking around....but there are a zillion used for the fabulous little jar. 

JOY! 


2 comments:

  1. MaryAnn, it's more than CLEAR that you have the tenacity to get a job done. Those dried orange flower petals were cheering you on all the way!

    LOL at Paul's reaction to the slimy water this morning!!! My sympathies to him : )

    ReplyDelete