C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, August 30, 2024

Tissue Paper Experiment

Happy Labor Day Weekend! The summer sure has flown by! September and October are my favorite months so bring them on!

It's been a long time since I was a teacher getting ready to start school....but I still think about it every year at this time! Good luck to any of you who are beginning a new school year. Bless you!

Many of the Devil's Bit blooms are fully open...and the bees are loving them.

And there were enough of blooms for the bees...so I brought one inside for the window sill. I'm wondering if the two smaller buds will be forced open inside.

 

I enjoy using tissue paper in collage....and I've discovered a way that I can sun print on art tissue....with a little special handling.

I coated the tissue on a slick waterproof service (I'm using an old metal pool sign)....and left it there to dry completely without touching it.  

The solution always starts out yellow....and on most papers dries to a light green....but the tissue dried to a darker dusty gray green. Once it was dry I could handle it easily.


I used the same technique I always do...and forgot to take photos. I arranged my plants on the tissue...and covered it with glass and placed it in the sun while it was still on the pool sign. It was hard to tell when it was fully processed...as the color was different than my usual papers. 

I brought it in after about 8 to 10 minutes...set it in the sink with it still on the sign.  That's the important part....because you CANNOT pick it up once it's wet...I tried.  It just falls apart. 

I carefully ran water over it until I felt the chemicals were washed out. It kind of floats around on the sign....sometimes I had to hold it in place so it wouldn't slide off. 

Then I mixed a little peroxide and water solution to pour over it to speed up the processing and rinsed it again. It's fun watching immediately turn blue. I let it drip in the sink for a few minutes...and carefully took it outside still on the sign. Once it was completely dry...it was study and ready to handle and use.  

I'm going to experiment with a little collage this evening or tomorrow...I'm curious how it will look over other papers.

I know book pages and print will show through the white parts very easily....but I'm curious how much it will show through the blue and how other colors underneath will work. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. What fun to know—through lived experience—all the steps needed to achieve what you had in mind. TA DA! Eager to see what you discover when you use it as collage paper : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dotty! I'll keep you posted. It's been a while since I collaged anything...so I'll see how it goes!

      Delete