C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Monday, August 12, 2024

Part of the Whole

Paul heads out tomorrow for a week in the mountains of Colorado with his seminary buddies....they've been intentionally gathering for 18 years and it's a highlight of his year.

Paul mentioned few days ago that he would like a cyanotype bookmark...and that he would like to take one to each of his buddies.  

I was tickled that he wanted one...and even more tickled that he thought the guys might like one too. I know them all....and they know me....so it was a fun project.

I made several versions....but ended up going with this simple one of the Palm Sunday palm I excavated from my high school scrapbook. Both Paul and I thought all these guys would appreciate that liturgical symbolism. 

I printed the palm on both sides....using just a sprinkle of vinegar on one side...and a little soap suds on the other to add texture. I've used this palm on the gelli plate...so it's covered in acrylic paint. It just might last forever.


Each time I exposed the paper to the sun with just the vinegar or soap for about 15 seconds before I put the palm down. I didn't want a stark white impression this time....and I think the textured lighter blue is pretty nice.

But what I love most about this project...is that all these bookmarks were parts of the whole. I'm hoping the guys will appreciate that symbolism too. 

4 comments:

  1. MaryAnn, everything about these bookmarks warms my heart and shouts JOY!—Paul's request for a cyanotype bookmark and one for each of his seminary buddies, the long-standing connections among these seminary buddies (and you), your using the Palm Sunday palm you excavated from your high school scrapbook, the sprinkle of vinegar, the addition of a bit of soap suds, the textured lighter blue instead of stark white, and the fact that the bookmarks are all part of a whole. Brilliant! Beautiful!

    As I just typed the words "part of a whole' I was suddenly reminded of a set of bookmarks I made awhile back that were part of a whole. Hmm, is it kosher to send a link in the comments here? I'll give it a try . That post and the three that follow tell the story from start to finish : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the glowing and heartwarming response Dotty. It was an incredibly joyful little project.

      And....I just looked through the link to your posts! Oh my....I am blown away by what you did with "Scrappy!" The way you transformed the parts of the whole into unique and personal "paper prayers" for your family is just breathtaking! I am completely inspired!

      "Just do something" is going to be my mantra for the rest of the summer and beyond! Thank you!

      Delete
    2. I do love being part of our mutual inspiration society!!!

      Delete
  2. oh, as I thought, links don't pass muster in Blogger comments. I'll send you the link by text.

    ReplyDelete