C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Did Something!

This was a just do something kind of day....and I did a lot of somethings! A highlight was a spontaneous Facetime call with Roseanne while I was in the middle of sun printing...and I gave her a "real time" demonstration of the process. It was fun!

I've been playing around with watercolor on some of my prints for a while now...but this recent experiment using blades of grass has me pretty excited. And when Roseanne validated the results...I thought it was worth sharing. (There are lots of things you never see.)

The print is on mixed media paper....so not the best for watercolor....but it has helped me see the potential for the idea.

This variegated grass is one of my favorite plants in my garden....you can see it there at the edge of the patio. 

It does well with part sun...and adds such interest to my mostly textures and greens garden.


The stripes are just amazing!


I made a couple prints on watercolor paper that I'm looking forward to painting.

I like the bigger dots I made by dipping my finger into the vinegar/water solution and dabbing it on the paper before putting it in the sun.

These are a few not so great prints that I tried to fix with watercolor and outlining....just like I did for Tracie's summer gelli print card. I sprayed too much water/vinegar on the button ferns and lost all the definition...but I put some back with color and outlining.

And the ferns were just big white blobs...with no definition in the individual leaves...and I think the color and outline makes them more interesting.  

6 comments:

  1. Oo, the watercolor on the grasses in photo #1 create deliciously captivating depth and dimensionality. Once again, I feel as though I'm right at ground level IN the grasses, as though I could reach over to trace a blade with my finger.

    Love the idea and manifestation of your mostly-textures-and-greens garden, MaryAnn. I remember decades ago first becoming aware of hostas when I noticed them lining a friend's driveway, after which I wanted some for our yard. Was later disappointed to discover that they send up tall flowers that didn't appeal to me—I just wanted texture and green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence on the grasses Dotty....I think there's potential there!

      And I'm chuckling about the hosta blooms....because I feel the same way. There are only just a few that I let bloom....I generally just cut them off. I have a huge variety in so many shades and textures of green...and some of them are really tiny. The minute or two it takes to cut off the bloom stems makes them worth it to me. My Royal Standards are about to bloom...and they get to stay. They have beautiful fragrant white blooms.

      Delete
  2. We sure had fun today and you most definitely demystified the process for me. I’m feeling like I could do this now. I do so love that first print. You did a beautiful job with the soft, textured pastel watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure did! There is nothing like seeing the process in action to "demystify" it! Thanks for humoring me! And thanks for prompting me along on that grass print. I'm pretty happy with it!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous colors, stunning shapes and your hosta looks perfection.

    ReplyDelete