C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Friday, August 9, 2024

Joyful Puttering

Turns out....it's just as fun teaching someone to make sun prints as it is to make them myself! Ida came over for a few hours yesterday....and I walked her through the whole process.  

I loved everything Ida printed...but this combination captured my heart.  I loved the contrast of the leaf shapes...and the intensity of the color and I will certainly print with this combo again! 

I think she was surprised at how the second layer of leaves didn't interfere with the white fern at all. And I think she now understands how even a 3rd layer would have worked!  Yay!

I've said it before...and I'll say it again...this kind of layering is my favorite technique.
We were so engaged and busy...this is the only photo I took during our session. 

We spent a lot of time going in and out of the sun...and a lot of time at the kitchen sink. I've got the system down...and it worked pretty well to teach it to someone new. Thanks Ida for being my practice student!
I a pile of papers prepped ahead of time and Ida made several prints in just a few hours using several techniques.

She prepped papers herself at the beginning that were dry enough for her to take at the end of the session make more prints at home. Her artist daughter is coming to visit soon....so this might be fun for them to do together! 

Keep me posted Ida!

Ida brought a beautiful piece of grass that came in a bouquet from her son....and she made a couple of prints with it. 

I wish I would have taken a photo of the grass itself.  The fringy top was so fine that the print is subtle but very beautiful. I thought it looked like fiber optic lights.

It was purely by accident that the background has a wispy look...making it look kind of dreamy.

Ida experimented with layering, a bit of vinegar spray, one with a few soap bubbles and several design and placement strategies.


And she went home with a nice little stack of goodies: her nine prints, several prepared papers sandwiched between cardboard so they wouldn't be exposed to the light, and a stitched moon piece that I had made.  You always go home with goodies when you take a class from me!

I took this photo of Ida's pile on the dining room table.....and this is why I take most of my art photos in the backyard. The diffused natural light makes the blue just pop....it makes all colors pop actually!

I had a great time Ida! Thanks for supporting my Joyful Puttering.


2 comments:

  1. MaryAnn and Ida, your prints are just spectacular! You captured high contrast, soft subtleties, boldness, delicacy, and lucious layers. I am particularly fond of photo 6, where all the stems 'bleed' off the four edges of the paper—I feel as though I am an insect on the ground looking skyward through grasses and other flora. Brava!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought that same thing about that photo Dottie! A bug's eye view! And now that I'm thinking about it....adding a second layer of some grasses and other plants would be really cool. I'll have to try that...and maybe Ida will too!

      It was a delightful way to spend a couple of hours.

      Delete