C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Gradient Week

It's gradient week for our Tiny Pages Art Exchange!

At least 20 years ago I purchased a set of "Color-aid" cards. At the time I didn't know much about them....other than I thought I needed them in my stash. 

I've always been drawn to the full spectrum of color...and the depth of color on these cards is amazing. They were invented by Joseph Albers to be used a tool to teach color theory. At the time I wasn't a "student" of art...but I was smitten.

 
They've been sitting in a box for all these years...and curled a bit. They were pretty expensive....so I think they kind of intimidated me. The paper is thick and the finish is matt...so not a clear choice for collage.

I never had the nerve to cut into them....until now. It was way past time!

I chose papers from aqua to teal for my "gradient" card that I sent to Becky....and she just got it today.

I painted the very top of the card with acrylic paint to keep the mushroom holes free...then layered the gradient papers into a landscape of sorts.

The papers are a bit thick..so I wasn't sure how it would work to layer them...but it was fine. I glued one layer at a time and weighted it down before I added the next layer. In the end it didn't feel as bulky as I feared.

For the back...I painted some copy paper with pinky rose acrylic in a gradient swatch...then cut out the daisies. In hindsight...I wished I had painted the background in more of a gradient.

And of course....there's a little gold bling....I just can't help myself. I'll share the others as they get to their new owners...and I have photos. 

2 comments:

  1. MaryAnn, you NAILED it! You grabbed gradient by the horns and rode hard. Well, actually, I guess you rode soft : ) On the front, what you've created invites me to drop my shoulders and step inside the scene. What I love, in addition to the gradient itself and the varied curves and lines and the way the gradient moves out in two directions from the center, is the way this composition opens the door to multiple interpretations—sky, pond, ocean, hills, cloud banks, waves, fields, farmland, to name a few options. And the back is perfect as is, IMHO. You have a gradient, and your background both lets it shine and keeps a quiet conversation going with the front of your card. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well.....that's sure a glowing response. I'm not sure it fully lives up to all that....but I'll take it. Thanks Dotty!

      I do like the calm simplicity of the front....and the more whimsical flower doodles on the back. I appreciate your approval of the simple background behind the daisies....you may be right. I did want that "quiet conversation" between the back and the front so appreciate your phrasing.

      Delete