C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, June 6, 2019

Napkin?

I have a thing for pretty paper napkins. Paul and I use cloth napkins....so it's kind of a funny obsession....but I do use some of them for art.

I tend to slip them in my pocket when I'm at a party...or Paul's pocket if I don't have one.  This particular one was from a visit Margie and I had with my friend Marian....and just for the recored I did confess that I was taking it.

Zelda, my 98 year old neighbor has a birthday tomorrow and I wanted to make her a card. I wasn't confident enough to watercolor for her (she's an artist) so I used one of the lovely flowers on the napkin as a starting place.
Napkins generally come two ply...so I separated the layers and carefully cut out one of the dahlias. Using matte medium under and over...I carefully glued it onto a piece of textured card stock.....added border of green card stock and sewed it onto a card.  It's hard to get the napkin really smooth without ripping it...but I think the bumpy texture adds interest.

I reluctantly added a gold outline to define the petals a little more. This is generally the point where I either mess up...or do too much but I ended up liking it pretty well. 
And there you have it....a napkin turned into a simple card for a classy lady named Zelda. 

No comments:

Post a Comment