C

C

"I do believe in an everyday sort of magic...the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we're alone." Charles de Lint

Thursday, June 20, 2019

Rediscovering Mushrooms

I've posted about mushrooms before...but every year I'm more and more fascinated by them....and more appreciative of them.  The season is just beginning so I hope you are....or become as fond of mushrooms as I am.  

"Most mushrooms have a symbiotic relationship with plants. Saprophytism is when a mushroom or group of mushrooms help decompose something and then release it back into the soil. Whether it be dying parts of your lawn, dying roots under the soil, or dead plants and animals (and their waste), mushrooms can take in the remaining nutrients from a dead source and introduce those nutrients back into the soil in a way bacteria or insects cannot." 

I found this adorable tiny striped mushroom hiding under a European ginger plant in the back yard at the condo yesterday....an inch and a half of natural perfection.



Then just this morning....one day later...the two little ones underneath shot up and bloomed.


I found another little cluster living beneath the miniature hosta.

I love these little families...all different colors and sizes....and all are welcome here!



This magnificent specimen popped up along the side of the condo....I guess he's a bachelor.  The stem is almost pillar shaped....and the top has lacy edges like a doily....complete with mulch crumbs. I'm loving rediscovering mushrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment